Warning: a high-clearance vehicle is recommended for Lost Valley Road. Sky Oaks Field Station is at 4620 ft elevation. In the winter a 4-wheel drive vehicle may be necessary if there is snow or ice on the ground.
- Take I-15 freeway to Temecula.
- Take the exit for Hwy 79 South.
- Go 27 miles on Hwy 79 towards Warner Springs.
- Turn LEFT onto Chihuahua Valley Road and go 6.3 miles.
- At this point, Chihuahua Valley Road makes a 90° turn to the right. Instead of following the road, go straight onto Lost Valley Road
(Note: when going from Chihuahua Valley Road to Lost Valley Road, you are crossing on-coming traffic; so be careful!).
- Within 100 yards, the dirt road splits into two. Take the road on the right, which is Lost Valley Road.
- Go 2.7 miles to the field station, which will be on your left.
Travel time: Approximately 2 hours from San Diego to Sky Oaks.